News Ticker



Does the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office do Watch In Passings?

Yes, if you are going on vacation, and you live in the County (not inside Fulton, New Bloomfield, Auxvasse Holts Summit), you may call the Sheriff’s Office and request a Watch In Passing.  Have the following information ready:

Your departure date
Your return date
Are you leaving a light on?
Is anyone suppose to be there while your gone?
Does anyone have a key?
Any animals?
Are there any vehicles in the driveway?
A phone number of where you can be reached.

Permalink 2 0

How do I obtain a Concealed Carry Permit?

Concealed carry permits will be processed and issued at the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office during normal business hours, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, with the exception of holidays, as the business office is closed.

For citizens to obtain a concealed carry permit:

  • Must be at least 19 years of age
  • Have proof of training that meets the state statute requirements RSMO 571.111
  • Make sure that their instructor is registered with our department as being pre-approved or bring a copy of the instructor’s qualification along with a copy of the training course they taught
  • Must not have been convicted of a felony
  • Must not have been convicted of two DWIs in the last five years
  • Must not have been convicted of misdemeanor drug related charges in the last five years
  • Must not have been convicted of one or more misdemeanor assaults or related violent charges, including domestic assaults in the last five years
  • Effective 08/28/2012 per House Bill 1647 lowers the Right – to – Carry age requirement from 21 to 18 years old for active duty military (who are residents of or stationed in Missouri), removes penalties for an accidental exposure of a firearm by a concealed carry endorsement holder, and establishes a process for restoration of firearm rights for those currently prohibited.
  • Effecitve 8/28/2013 the Missouri Department of Revenue no longer issues concealed carry permits.

Citizens wishing to submit an application for a concealed carry permit need to bring a $89.00 money order, cashiers check, or cash (NO personal checks or credit / debit cards) made payable to the Callaway County Sheriff Office.

Renewals have to be obtained every FIVE (5) years (effective 8/28/2013) from the date of issue. Renewal fees are $50.00 and a fee of $10.00 will be applied for every month past the due date. Six months after a CCW renewal hasn’t been obtained the CCW permit will be canceled.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Permalink 3 0

Does Callaway County have animal control?

No. At the current time Callaway County does not have an Animal Control Officer, nor are there any county ordinances to address a lot of concerns that citizens may have regarding certain animals such as dogs & cats running at large.

Permalink 0 7

Where do I obtain information about Missouri’s Graduated Driver License Law?

Information regarding Missouri’s Graduated Driver License Law can be found on the Department of Revenue website by clicking here.

Permalink 0 0

Can I call the Sheriff’s Office to report a problem and still remain anonymous?

Yes you can. There is no requirement to give your name and address when making a call to the Sheriff’s Office.  However, it is extremely helpful if the responding deputy has someone to contact either in person or by phone to get more specific information to effectively address the problem.

Many times deputies respond to an anonymous call about an incident and either cannot find the origin of the problem with the information given or the situation changes prior to their arrival, but they have no way of knowing it.  This can result in frustrated deputies and the citizen feeling that the Sheriff’s Office didn’t do anything about their complaint.

We realize that in some circumstances, a person may not want neighbors to know they have called the police and they don’t want an officer to come to their door.  However, something as simple as a phone number by which to reach the complainant can make a significant difference in whether a situation is corrected, or goes undiscovered or unidentified.  You merely inform the call taker that you do not wish to be contacted in person but that the officer may call you if they need more information.

Permalink 0 0

Can I make a police report over the phone or does a deputy have to come to my house?

Some reports can be taken over the phone.  If you have a preference on how your call is handled, let the 911 Operator know.

Except for emergency calls, a deputy will generally call before responding to your residence.

Permalink 0 0

How can I get a green number sign for my house?

Contact Central Fire Protection District at 573-642-9144 or North Callaway Fire Protection District at 573-642-9339.

The signs are available for a small fee, but are a great investment as they aid emergency personnel in locating your house.

Permalink 2 0

How do I bail someone out of jail?

Go to the Sheriff’s Office lobby and speak with the jail staff.  Unless it’s a property bail, you must bring cash in full to the jail when you bail someone out.

Please visit the Jail Section of the website for a list of bondsmen if the person you wanting to bond out is on a surety bond.  Please note that jail staff cannot recommend a bondsman.

Permalink 2 0

How do I find out if I have a warrant for my arrest?

You can find a list of warrants on our website.  These warrants are updated every Monday.

Contact the Sheriff’s Office or come to the Sheriff’s Office to turn yourself in. Remember, if you have a warrant for your arrest, you will be subject to arrest at any time you are contacted by a law enforcement officer. That time may be when you are driving, spending time with your family, or at work.

Deputies will try to accommodate persons wanting to turn themselves in.

Permalink 2 2

A deputy confiscated my property. How do I get it back?

You must contact the assigned case officer and request that the items be authorized for release.  After the officer advises you that the property is authorized for release, contact the Evidence Unit by calling 576-642-721 option 6 and requesting to speak to the evidence technician to make arrangements (date and time) to pick up your property.  Bring identification and verification of ownership with you.  Please be advised that evidence personnel cannot authorize the release of confiscated property until the case has been resolved.


Permalink 1 0

Can I operate my All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) on county owned roads?

Missouri State Statute 304.013 prohibits anyone operating ATVs on public roads which include all roads owned and maintained by Callaway County with the following exceptions:
ATVs owned and operated by a governmental entity for official use;

ATVs may be operated on county roads within 3 miles of the rider’s residence;

Persons operating ATVs for agricultural purposes or industrial on-premises purposes between official times of sunrise and sunset;

ATVs may be operated by handicapped persons for short distances occasionally on state secondary roads between official times of sunrise and sunset.

A valid license is required to operate an ATV.

Permalink 2 0

How do I get to the Callaway County Sheriff’s Office and Jail?

If you are headed south on US Hwy 54, take the third Fulton exit (State Road F) and turn left.  Go to the second light and turn right onto Market Street.  Go to the circle and turn left onto State Road O.  Drive approximately one mile and you will see the “Callaway County Law Enforcement” on the left.

If you are headed north on US Hwy 54, take first Fulton exit (State Road H) and turn right.  Continue until you come to the circle. Once at the circle, turn right onto State Road O. Drive approximately one mile and you will see the “Callaway County Law Enforcement” on the left.

Permalink 1 0

How do I know if I reside within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff’s Office?

While the Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer over the entire county and is elected by the citizens of the county at large, deputies do not generally operate within the incorporated cities and towns, unless local police are not available or requested by to assist by the local police.  Occasionally you will see a deputy assisting local police or making a traffic stop in one of the incorporated towns.

If you are one of the majority of Callaway County citizens who does not pay property taxes to the cities of Fulton, Holts Summit, or Jefferson City, you live within the jurisdiction of the Sheriff’s Office.  Additionally, if you live within the city limits of Auxvasse or New Bloomfield, a deputy will respond to calls for service when a local police officer is not on duty.

Permalink 1 0

How do I report a crime?

For non-emergencies and general inquiries call the Emergency Operations Center at 573-642-7291 option 6, or visit us at the Callaway County Law Enforcement Center located at 1201 State Road O in Fulton.  Please keep in mind that if a deputy is not immediately available, you may have to wait for a little while in our lobby.

In case of an emergency, dial 911 from anywhere in the county.  Please be prepared to provide the emergency operator with your location and the nature of your emergency so that the Emergency Operations Center may dispatch the appropriate law enforcement agency, fire protection district, or ambulance.

All calls for law enforcement or emergency personnel in Callaway County are handled and dispatched by the men and women of the Callaway County Emergency Operations Center.


Permalink 0 0

How do I request extra patrols in my neighborhood?

Contact the Sheriff’s Office non emergency number 573-642-7291 option 6.  A dispatcher will collect your information and refer you to a deputy.

Permalink 1 1

How do I send money to someone in jail or how do I send money to an inmate’s commissary account?

We accept only money orders or bank/cashiers checks (no personal checks). The money order or cashiers check should be made payable to the inmate (individual’s full name, not a nickname) AND do not forget to clearly print your name and return address, so we can return the funds to you if the individual is no longer at our facility. Please note that money cannot be sent electronically to inmate accounts.

Permalink 3 25

I am planning to purchase a handgun. What do I need from the Sheriff’s Office in the way of paperwork?

As of August of 2007, citizens are no longer required to obtain a permit to acquire a firearm from their local Sheriff’s Office, nor are they required to register a firearm with the Sheriff’s Office.  The Callaway County Sheriff’s Office encourages all citizens who are gun owners to record the serial number and description (make, model, color, barrel length, etc) of all firearms they own and store this data in a safe place in the event the firearms are stolen.  Citizens are still required to obtain “concealed carry” permits if they wish to carry a concealed firearm on their person.

Permalink 1 2

I have received a traffic ticket. What do I do?

If you received a traffic ticket and were provided with an envelope with a set of instructions, read the instructions thoroughly.  The instructions will tell you how to plead guilty and pay the fine or contest the charge.  If you receive a traffic ticket and were provided with a court date, you may appear in Callaway County Court on the date or you may contact the Callaway County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office at 573-642-7291 and speak with them concerning your ticket.  The Sheriff’s Office has no control over tickets once they are issued.


No proof of insurance tickets, for example, can be resolved by taking your proof of insurance to the PA’s Office as soon as possible after you receive the ticket.

Permalink 0 1

I know who stole my property why doesn’t the Sheriff’s Office arrest the person right now?

Deputies arriving at a crime in progress are often able to accomplish an arrest on the spot.  However, except for critical situations, crimes reported after-the-fact require detailed investigation for the gathering of information. Facts and evidence developed during the investigative process must be sufficient for an arrest warrant to be issued.  (The Sheriff’s Office has to prove who committed a crime)  Often, investigative workload and priorities mean that some cases are not processed as quickly as victims perceive they should be.  Knowing who is assigned to your case and providing any additional information that is discovered after a crime is reported is often vital to getting a case resolved.

Permalink 1 8